Thursday, March 5, 2015

What Are We?

Personally, I agree with Descartes on his ideas of humans being of two different substances, specifically being made up of the body and the mind. Although I do firmly understand how one can find it easier to agree with physicalism due to the fact that there is direct evidence to prove it exists. One can dissect a body and see with his own eyes the physical realm of a human. I believe it's easier for masses to believe only what they can see. Despite this easiness, I still agree with Descartes' views. It seems impossible that the diversity and talent in the world is purely due to the physical brain computing humans to do such things. We would be much more of a machine if physicalism was the ultimate truth. Even with their being physical evidence of most of human's actions to be correlated with the physical organ of the brain, there's still something forcing that to happen. And for it to be different than what the billions of people around the world are doing at the same exact second. For me, I just cannot fathom the idea of there not being something within each human that is a driving force of motivation. If it's the mind or the soul, I believe we as humans are most definitely made up of two parts.

1 comment:

  1. You situate the different positions quite well here. It was interesting to read your own perspective on these views.

    ReplyDelete