Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Methodological Skepticism

From my understanding, methodological skepticism is a process in which an individual rules out all possibilities through his own self doubt in order to reach certainty. Personally, this does make sense to me. In everyday life, I strive to rule out all possibilities in simple situations such as where I misplaced my iPhone to more extreme like how to handle an uncomfortable situation with a friend. We tend to assume the worst before arriving at the truth, which hopefully is the best. Therefore most all individuals unconsciously use this process. From childhood, we fall into traditions such as believing in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny. As outlandish as these concepts are, we wholeheartedly believe in them until we find those hidden gifts under our parent's beds. It's not until we are given a reason to doubt that we finally realize the truth. However, as much as I would love to say that I am more self aware than aware of the world around me, I do believe that there is a balance between the two. Simply due to the fact that we live in a superficial society where it's easier to believe one's actions than one's words. Therefore we are almost always craving instant gratification. Sometimes there's isn't always time to rule out all possibilities and we doubt what we are presented with and stay true to what the world around us provides.

In conclusion, methodological skepticism is a good strategy that is applicable to one's everyday life. As true as it may be though, the world we live in doesn't always allow it to be the most suffice strategy to use.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post, you come up with some uses for it and also some reasons why it's not really plausible in our society.

    ReplyDelete